What is the goal of the investment?
The goal of this investment is to reduce the proportion of the current population at risk of digital exclusion by launching the "Digital Civic Service" initiative, a network of young volunteers from different backgrounds throughout Italy to provide people at risk of digital exclusion with training for the development and improvement of digital skills, and by strengthening the existing network of "Digital Facilitation Centres".
- Reduce the gaps in standards of living
- Gender equality
The "Digital Facilitation Centres" are physical access points, usually located in libraries, schools and community centres, which provide citizens with training on both in-person and online digital skills in order to bolster their digital inclusion effectively. The initiative builds on existing successful experiences and aims to ensure widespread development of such centres nationwide. Although 600 centres are already operational, their presence will be further strengthened through dedicated training activities and new equipment, with the overall goal of creating 2,400 new access points throughout Italy and training over 2,000,000 citizens at risk of digital exclusion. Out of 3,000 centres, about 1,200 will be concentrated in Southern Italy. At the same time as the digital facilitation centres, the “Digital Civil Service” initiative will be expanded over three years, aimed at achieving the following results:
• holding three annual calls for digital civil service projects targeted at non-profit organisations registered in the national list of civic service organisations;
• strengthening of the capabilities of non-profit organisations participating in the annual call for tenders for the digital civil service and launch of digital facilitation and digital education projects, with the launch of 900 projects under the three annual calls envisaged;
• training and field experience in digital civil service projects involving about 9,700 volunteers;
• assistance and training for 1 million citizens benefiting from digital facilitation and digital education activities developed by 900 projects.
Strengthening of the territorial network for digital media
Creation of the Digital Civil Service to recruit thousands of young people to help approximately one million citizens acquire basic digital skills