What is the goal of the investment?
Improve education services from preschool age onwards and provide families with tangible assistance, encouraging the participation of women in the labour market and the work-life balance. 264,480 new preschool places will be made available. The European target of 33% is therefore expected to be surpassed.
- Reduce the gaps in standards of living
- Gender equality
The investment plan for the 0-6 year-old age group aims to increase the availability of preschool facilities through the construction, refurbishment and improvement in the safety of crèches and nursery schools. As such, there will also be improvements in teaching from both a quantitative and qualitative perspective. In order to guarantee that the measure complies with the “Do no significant harm" technical guide (2021/C58/01), the eligibility criteria contained in the reference terms for the next invitations to present projects will exclude the following list of activities:
- activities connected with fossil fuels, including their use downstream;
- activities connected with the EU Emission Trading System (ETS) whose expected greenhouse gas emissions are not below the relevant reference parameters;
- activities relating to landfills, incinerators and mechanical biological treatment plants;
- activities in which the long-term disposal of waste can cause environmental damage.
In addition, according to the technical document only activities compliant with relevant EU and national environmental legislation can be selected.
The measure will encourage the participation of women in the employment market, supporting the work-life balance
There will therefore be a direct positive impact on accessibility of preschool services and, indirectly, on the growth of the birth rate throughout the country
New jobs will be created particularly for school teachers and support staff