What the goals of this reform are
The goal of the reform is to improve the digitalisation of transport documents, a fundamental part of the EU strategy for the mobility of goods, as demonstrated by European Regulations 2020/1056 and 2020/1055 to facilitate the exchange of electronic information and for the use of the electronic “Convention relative au contrat de transport international de marchandises par route” (eCMR) as part of the controls on cabotage operations by road. The main benefits expected from the introduction of the eCMR in Italy are:
• more security, speed and cost-effectiveness of information flows;
• simplification of information flows between the components in the logistics chain;
• reduction of issuing costs;
• less possibility of errors and discrepancies between the various versions of the document: of the sender, carrier and the consignee of the goods;
• greater transparency and ease of control, in particular, for intermodality and duplication of checks, and for monitoring of operations and of access to information in real time;
• encouragement for the competitiveness of road haulage companies for the acquisition of international transport contracts from companies that already apply the Protocol.
In this area, it is also necessary to intervene on the regulation of rights and duties between customers and service providers within the logistic value chain. Lastly, in order to speed up the control of goods and the logistical flow, the possibility of entering into agreements with analysis laboratories that can help carry out these activities will be envisaged.